Sunday 4 May 2014

A New Motorcycle Direction


Last summer I went on trip and it became apparent to me that I had the wrong type of motorcycle. I was heading South out of Salmon Idaho, and riding towards Sun Valley via Hwy 75. It is a nice twisty piece of road, and although my cruiser was nice on a highway, I would have been more fun on a sport-type bike. At the top of the Galena Summit, close to 9,000 ft in elevation, I pulled into a view area, and when I got close to the edge to take a photo, I saw what appeared to be the old wagon road winding up the mountian pass from the valley bottom.

That was one more indication that I had the wrong bike. If I had an Adventure Tour bike, I would have driven back down the mountain to the valley bottom and came back up on the wagon road.

So I put my Road Star up for sale this spring and bought the bike below. It is a Buell Ulysses XB12XT. I will be making some modifications to it where it will fit my requirements much better, which will be a 90% highway tour bike and 10% off pavement.  I won't be doing any serious off road riding with it, as it is too heavy for that kind of work, but it will work on fire, logging and some dual track roads

I am going to ride it pretty much as you see it here this year, and then spend the winter converting it to what I need.


No comments:

Post a Comment