Monday 21 July 2014

Grey Creek Pass

I live just east of Grey Creek Pass. It is a great trip in the summer for a Motorcycle, a vehicle that has high clearance and even bicycles. The road is pretty steep on both sides and there are certain parts that are around a 14% grade. There are also many very sharp switchbacks, and although towing trailers over it is not recommended I have seen several make the trip. Just be very cautious with your braking going downhill as it will not take long to get brake fade if you use them too much. The pass caps out at about 6,800 ft and there is a nice picnic table and lake at the top.

This is a screen shot of my iPhone at the top of the pass. Note the "No Service".


I went up over the pass today with a couple of my Motorcycle buddy's. As far as the road conditions I would rate it as decent. I spent as much time sitting on my motorcycle as I did standing. The road does get rough in a few spots and my Harley Davidson Buell was in first gear while I was standing on the foot pegs for better control. One thing nice about the Buell is that it fits me well. When standing I have a bit of a forward lean and my thighs can grab the tank, which gives me a nice way to control the bike. 

I stopped part way up to check the bike out to make sure everything was still attached. I wanted to make sure that the Custom mounts I made for the side cases where ok. It is a good thing I checked as one of the nuts had come off. I stopped several times over the rest of the day to make sure they where good. 


I was even able to ride one handed while standing as long as the road was decent. There where many very sharp rocks which could have played havoc with the tires, so a very cautious eye was needed. This requires you to ride "every inch" of the road and will take both mental and physical ability.


This is Jim and Don and our motorcycles at the very top. Notice the14% grade warning.


We saw about have a dozen KTM's coming up the west side, and there where also two trucks up there, one hauling a Recreation Vehicle and the other a boat. Both pulled over and allowed us to pass. That showed good courtesy from both the Ford and Chevrolet truck drivers.

Once we got into Grey Creek, we headed up to the Kootenay Bay Ferry and crossed over to Balfour for lunch. We stopped for a burger at the first place on the right hand side, right off the ferry. The foot was good, the service terible. Make sure they have the order written down correctly. We took a short ride up the lake to Toad Rock campground to visit Mary.

Then Back on the road to the Ferry, crossed over and road down the Kootenay Lake road to Creston. The it was on home. 


A motorcylists dream ride is The Kootenay Lake Road. One end is in Creston and the other is at Kootenay Bay Landing, which is just a bit north of Crawford Bay. There is much to do for everyone on the Lake road. Creston has many orchards and there are lots of Artisans in Crawford Bay. Plus resturants, beaches and places to laze the day away.

No comments:

Post a Comment