Tuesday 8 July 2014

Photography and Computer gear

In the previous post I said that I was going to use the Buell Top Box for my camera and laptop. The aluminum box I got did not fit the way I wanted it to because of the rack on the back of the motorcycle and I will have to modify it to make it work the way I wish. The stock top box is a bit smaller but it will still work.

My camera/laptop gear consists of the following:

  • Sony NEX 6 camera.....I chose this over the NEX 7 as the 6 will transfer to my iPhone via a Wi-fi connection, so in case I do not have my laptop available for Blog updates, I can use the app in my phone to do it. I wont have the same ability with my Apple phone as I will with my MacBook Air but it will work in a pinch. The NEX 6 also has the capability to save RAW and Jpeg at the same time with the same shot. This gives me much greater capability for when I use PhotoShop in my Mac laptop. I have used Sony for several years and like the cameras. For the techno types, the NEX 6 has a 16 Mega Pixel Sensor, a 3 inch screen and a Viewfinder. The screen tilts up which is a great feature for shooting with a tripod. 
  • Sony 18-200 zoom lens.....This lens will be the main one I use for all of my shots. It is not teribly fast, but it will do.  
  • Sony 2.8 16 MM lens....This is my faster Wide Angle lens. I will be using this mostly for scenic shots. 
  • Manfrotto Tripod....A tripod is a necessary tool for serious scenic photography. When combining the tripod and the tilting lens on the camera it will make a great tool for landscapes that you need to wait for the correct light. The Tripod will be tied down to the top of one of my Aluminum panniers. 
  • The computer is a MacBook Air. It is a very powerful,  light and small laptop. I have Adobe Photoshop CS6 installed in it. I have been using Macs and Photoshop since the mid 90's and like them both. At home I use a large monitor, but for obvious reasons will be using the Macintosh screen when on the road. I will alsol be carrying a portable Hard Drive for all of my images. When you start to save in RAW and JPEG at the same time, the bigger the drive the better. I will be using a Mac hard drive that is self powered by the Laptop that will need no wall power.

I have a 12 to 120 volt inverter so that I can charge all of the above from the Motorcycle if I am not near a wall outlet for a while. It plugs right into the Buell which has two 12 volt outlets for accessories. Also, very importanly, I have a waterproof cover for the Top Box. "Clamshell" type contairs are netorious for leaking, and water anywhere near this gear will soon render it usless.

In the following pictures you will see how the gear is placed in the top luggage box. First I installed a piece of foam that covers the bottom of the box. I then cut a piece of foam that surrounds the laptop. I also use a laptop cover that the Mac sits in. On top of that level sits the camera compartment.

All of this foam will help to keep the vibration away from the gear.

I have a camera bag that I will be using for hiking. You can see the camera and the lens on the right side. This will give me quick access to the cameras when needed. On the top of the box I am going to get some straps that will hold up my daypack. In the daypack will be a jacket for hiking plus other day hike items. I will also have my hiking boots with me, as well as pants, shirts and a sweater for day hikes, but these will be in the side box's to keep the weight down.



No comments:

Post a Comment