Thursday 10 September 2015

Stanley Idaho to the Top of the Lolo Pass..... Day 6

After a great sleep in a wonderful hotel, and quick breakfast I packed up and headed west onto some very curvy motorcycle type road on the Ponderosa Pine Scenic Byway.




This is the top of New Highway 95. Next time I will ride up Old Highway 95, which is just to the left of this picture. It is the original highway that is very twisty with lots of switchbacks. 


At the bottom of the Lolo Pass. And yes, that sign says 99 miles of Twisty highway, and it is.


All the way along the road you ride either beside, or on, the original trail that Lewis and Clark came through back in the day. Some of that trail is still motorcycle and Jeep worthy, but you best be prepared to take your time, and have spare tires if you go.


I was aiming towards Missoula for the night, but found this Gem about 15 miles west of the top of the pass. I was very fortunate to get a room. I also ate there and the food was very good. I have stayed in a lot of hotels in my days, but without a doubt this was the quietest and darkest place I have every been in.  The lodge and restaurant is open 365 days a year, but if you want to stay there, best get a reservation long in advance. I was just fortunate that they had a cancellation as I walked in the door, other wise there would have been no room at the Inn.



No comments:

Post a Comment