Friday 2 October 2015

Day Five, The Redwood Forest

I set out early to see if I could get some good images, but the fog was think in most places. This is just as you leave Crescent City.


You can stay on 101, or you can find some of the old highway. This leads to some of that road, and the speed sign is just a harbinger of what is to come


An old bridge washed out back in the mid 1960's by a log jam. 


The trees making a natural canopy.


Some of the big Redwoods. If you look closley, you can see my bike at the base of the first big tree.



This is the original 1890's wagon trail that went up the coast. 



I went looking for the Tall Trees. The tallest in the area, and I believe on Earth, are down this road. You need to get the gate code to open it up, and then the trail head is about 6.5 miles down. I went down the last time I was in the area, but road construction kept me from reaching the bottom. It got very muddy and as I was by myself, I turned back, as I did not want to drop the big BMW and not be able to get it back up because I could not get good traction with my boots. 


I kept on going up the road until I got to this Fire Station. It is there for Forest Fires, not house fires, as there are no people who live up there. It is still in the National Forest. I spoke to the fire fighters for a few moments and they gave me the low down on where the road kept on going to. It went way inland and it took three or so roads to get back to the highway to the south. I will keep that trip for another time.


Heading back down towards Crescent city.



I stopped in the Lady Bird Johnson Grove to go for a walk amongst the giants. 


Then headed back up the coast towards Crescent City.


And once again went for the sunset shots after supper. 


No comments:

Post a Comment